Do you love learning about and caring for animals? Learn more about animals, animal welfare, and how to become a veterinarian through 4-H club activities. Then, if you are interested in becoming a veterinary assistant, you can go through a veterinary assistant preparatory training to prepare for a future career as a vet tech.
To receive your veterinary assistant certificate through Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Veterinary Medicine, you must complete 100 lessons and 500 hours of apprenticeship. Graduates of this program are eligible to take the exam for certification through the Texas Veterinary Medical Association (TVMA).
A few things you will learn and do in this project are:
- Animal nutrition
- Handling and restraining animals
- Helping with animal examinations and treatments
- Infectious diseases of animals
- Non-infectious diseases
- Aiding with surgery
You will also have an opportunity to attend a 4-H veterinary science camp.
Print & eBooks: available through the Texas A&M AgriLife Bookstore
- Veterinary Science: Preparatory Training for the Veterinary Assistant by Floron C. Faries Jr., (contains 75 core lessons and 25 clinical lessons)
- One Health Science & Technology by Heather L. Simmons (contains 25 One Health lessons)
- Laboratory Science & Technology by Heather L. Simmons (contains 25 laboratory science lessons)
- Teacher keys are available for each book
If you need any type of accommodation to participate in a program or have questions about the physical access provided for an event, please contact the AgriLife Extension agent in your county. Requests for accommodation should be made at the time of registration for the event or at least two weeks prior to the program or event.
Extension Veterinary Medicine- 4-H Program
This program provides the training and experience needed to receive a veterinary assistant classification. Students who finish the program are eligible to take the CVA certification from the Texas Veterinary Medical Association. If you are interested in getting a degree in veterinary science, this program is a great start. There are several program tracks, ranging from clinical to laboratory. Once you have finished the core 100 lessons you may begin studying in your chosen track. The course culminates with a apprenticeship.
Texas 4-H Roundup Veterinary Science Skillathon