If you enjoy the outdoors and hunting, you’ll love the shooting sports project! This project covers firearm safety and teaches responsible handling and use. Get ready because this project is hands on. You’ll learn about a variety of firearms – including pistols, rifles, shotguns, muzzleloading, and even archery!
Some groups focus on competitive events, and others practice basic shooting programs. Contact your local club to see what’s available in your area.
In the shooting sports project, you’ll learn:
- how to load and shoot a variety of firearms
- proper maintenance of your firearms, parts, and accessories
- proper safety procedures in handling and shooting
- about shooting sports competitions and how to participate
- hunting procedures
- laws and ethics related to shooting, hunting, and firearms use
- about careers related to firearms and shooting sports!
Due to the nature of this sport, there are quite a few rules that are detailed and important to follow. But remember, fun and safety are the primary goals. These rules should be applied to any activity and event within 4-H Shooting Sports project; these rules supercede those posted in governing bodies such as NRA, USA Archery, NSCA, etc.
The rules for each discipline are as follows:
- General shooting sports rules
- Hunting and Wildlife
- Muzzleloading/black powder
- Whiz-bang event
Other things you should know about this project:
- Use of reloaded ammunition
- Certified 4-H shooting sports coaches
- Mandatory forms for the 4-H pistol project
If you need any type of accommodation to participate in a program or have questions about the physical access provided for an event, please contact the AgriLife Extension agent in your county. Requests for accommodation should be made at the time of registration for the event or at least two weeks prior to the program or event.
Rifle Proficiency Certification–must be uploaded on Connect at registration
Lane Assignments 2019 – . Please make sure that your shooters arrive 30 minutes prior to their scheduled time. We will have food and snacks available for purchase on Saturday.
Trap, Skeet, Sporting Clays Results
Indoor Archery Match
Roundup Indoor Rifle Match
Shotgun Camp (formerly JOSC)