As wonderful as the holidays can be, we also know this season can be especially tough for lots of people! Here is a list of 10 impactful community service ideas for the holiday season!
- Operation Christmas Child- this is a project coordinated by Samaritan’s Purse. Shoe Boxes are packed with essential items and toys to be sent to boys and girls around the world. If you are unable to go out and get items to pack a box, this year they have a virtual packing option! The deadline for this is November 23rd! Go to the website to learn more & find a drop off location near you!
- Cards for Hospitalized Kids- FREE! This is another service activity you can do from home. Make cards for hospitalized children, mail them to the organization, and then they send them to hospitals around the country to be distributed. Check out the website for more info!
- Closet Cleanout– This time of year many people are in need of coats. Do a closet cleanout and donate your warm clothes to local homeless shelters, or find a local organization hosting a coat drive.
- Pantry Cleanout/Food Drive– Many shelters are also in need of canned food items, or donate to your local food pantry!
- Care Packages for Troops- This can be a very lonely time for our troops, as they sacrifice time at home with their families to protect us. See if there are any local troops you can send a care package, or check out this website to find organizations to go through.
- Goody Bags- Holidays can also be tough on our Law Enforcement and Healthcare Workers. Consider dropping off goody bags at your local hospitals and law enforcement agencies. Another fun idea would be to look up a homemade lotion or shower steamer recipe on Pinterest.
- Fleece Blankets- There is a huge need for these during the winter season! Consider donating to your local Good Samaritan, CareNet, CASA, Homeless Shelters, CPS, etc.. Here is a tutorial to make these!
- Nursing Home Decorations- Assisted Living & Nursing Homes could be gloomy during this time, call to see if they would accept homemade decorations! Making wreaths or doorhangers for the residents could add some cheer to their days!
- Pen Pal- This year especially, nursing home, assisted living, and hospital residents can feel lonely. Be a Pen Pal! This is a free activity that can be done from home!
- Panhandle Gives- This is a local push to help raise funds for various non-profits across the Panhandle! You could consider donating to your favorite non-profit, or raising funds for it. Check out the website for more info! There are NPOs from Amarillo, Claude, Hereford, Borger, Bushland, Cactus, Canadian, Canyon, Dalhart, Clarendon, Dumas, Perryton, Pampa, Shamrock, Spearman, Stratford, Wellington, and White Deer all participating!
Happy Holidays to all of our 4-H families, we hope you during this time that you can find at least one way to serve others!